Brandon Family Law Attorneys
Award-Winning Family Lawyers Serving Hillsborough County, Florida
It’s often said the pain of a divorce is second only to the loss of a loved one by death. There’s no question; divorce is a high stress and emotionally taxing experience for most. If you are considering divorce, or are currently separated from your spouse and are in need of legal advice regarding the divorce process in the state of Florida, the Curry Law Group can help.
We have over 20 years experience in practicing Florida law. Large law offices may pass your important legal matter off to less experienced newer attorneys, where you may never see the person advertised on TV or in print. Unlike these large offices, when you work with our firm, your case will be handled by board certified and Florida Bar registered principals of our firm. You can rely on our experienced and seasoned professionals to help guide you throughout the entire divorce or family law process.
How Our Brandon Family Law Attorneys Can Help
Our experienced family lawyers understand the diverse challenges families face today including :
- child custody
- child support
- domestic violence issues
- restraining orders
- property rights
- property division
- alimony (including rehabilitative alimony, or transitional alimony)
- recovery of attorney’s fees
We look out for the rights of all of our clients. Your legal interest as a father, mother, military member or civilian is our top priority.
Relationships and divorce are no exceptions. If this sounds familiar, we understand. Think of our team like a bridge helping you to get to your next destination in life. We invite you to call or reach out to our office today via email or through the contact us links found throughout our website. We would like to be your trusted legal advisors and experts as you work through the divorce and family law issues facing you and your family.
After a divorce, you may continue to deal with issues such as modification of child support, modification of child custody, relocation of children or modification of alimony. We can assist with enforcement and compliance issues as well. If you are not receiving alimony or child support payments as agreed, we can assist with settlement agreements, court orders and/or contempt of court proceedings.
What is the Process of Divorce in Florida?
Getting divorced in Brandon, Florida involves several steps and legal requirements.
Generally, the steps involved in getting divorced in Brandon include:
- Meet Florida's Residency Requirements:
- Ensure that you or your spouse meets the residency requirement, which is either one of you must have been a Florida resident for at least six months prior to filing for divorce.
- Determine the Appropriate Court:
- Identify the appropriate court in Brandon, Florida, where you will file for divorce. Typically, this will be the circuit court in the county where you or your spouse resides.
- Prepare the Divorce Petition:
- Serve Divorce Papers:
- Have the divorce papers served on your spouse by a qualified process server or through certified mail with return receipt requested. Proper service is important to ensure legal compliance.
- Exchange Financial Information:
- Both you and your spouse must exchange financial information, including income, assets, debts, and expenses. This information is crucial for property division and spousal support determinations.
- Negotiate Settlement or Attend Mediation:
- Try to negotiate a settlement agreement with your spouse regarding the division of assets, child custody, and support. If an agreement cannot be reached, attend court-ordered mediation to attempt to resolve disputed issues with the help of a neutral mediator.
- Finalize the Divorce:
- If a settlement is reached, submit the agreement to the court for approval. If not, proceed to trial. Once the court approves the settlement or issues a final judgment after trial, your divorce will be finalized.
- Implement the Divorce Decree:
- Follow the terms of the divorce decree regarding child custody, support, and property division. Seek legal assistance if issues arise in the enforcement or modification of the decree.
Our team understands these are rough waters to navigate, and we don’t rush, we listen, understand, problem solve and ultimately create a plan to accomplish that end. Through experience and clear understanding of the family Florida law process, we will work through the challenging currents and get you and your family across to the other side safely.
Brandon, Florida Child Custody Laws
In Brandon, Florida, child custody laws are governed by the Florida Statutes and follow the best interests of the child standard. Key aspects of child custody laws in the state of Florida include the following:
- Florida recognizes two types of custody. physical custody (time-sharing) and legal custody (parental responsibility). Physical custody determines where the child will reside, while legal custody refers to the decision-making authority regarding the child's upbringing.
- Parenting plans. Parents are encouraged to create a parenting plan that outlines the arrangements for time-sharing, decision-making, and other important aspects of raising the child. The plan should consider the child's needs and promote their best interests.
- The court considers the best interests of the child as the primary factor in determining custody arrangements. Factors considered include the child's health, safety, education, and overall well-being, as well as each parent's ability to provide a stable and nurturing environment.
- In many cases, parents are required to attend mediation to resolve custody disputes and develop a parenting plan. Mediation aims to help parents reach a mutually agreeable solution and avoid litigation.
- Parental time-sharing. Florida encourages frequent and continuing contact between the child and both parents unless it is determined to be detrimental to the child's well-being. The court may create a time-sharing schedule that outlines specific visitation periods and arrangements.
- Custody orders can be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances or if it is in the child's best interests. Examples include changes in a parent's living situation, job relocation, or concerns about the child's safety.
It's important to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney in Brandon, FL, who can provide guidance on child custody matters, explain the specific laws and regulations, and help you navigate the legal process to protect your child's best interests.
Divorcing with Children
One of the most difficult areas of family law usually involves child custody matters. While the Florida courts often decide on shared custody, this is not always the case. Our experienced and compassionate attorneys will take the time to listen to your needs and concerns. We will then aggressively work through the courts to accomplish an outcome that is in your best interest.
Families are important. Divorce is not easy, and you, and your children’s legal rights are worth protecting. If you live in the Tampa or Brandon, Florida area and need to speak with a family law or divorce attorney, we’re only a phone call or click away.
Protecting Your Rights in Family Law Matters
When it comes to family law matters, it's crucial to have a knowledgeable and experienced attorney on your side to protect your rights and advocate for your best interests. Our award-winning family lawyers at Curry Law Group, P.A. have a proven track record of success in handling a wide range of family law cases in Hillsborough County, Florida.
Whether you're facing a divorce, child custody dispute, or any other family law issue, our Brandon family law attorneys can provide the legal guidance and representation you need. We understand the emotional and financial complexities of family law cases, and we are committed to helping you navigate the legal process with compassion and professionalism.
With our team of dedicated family lawyers, you can trust that your case will be handled with the utmost care and attention to detail. We will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
Let Our Florida Family Lawyers Help
Our many years of combined experience, in all types of marital and family law matters, will make a difference. We are confident that our personalized approach and skilled Brandon family law attorneys can assist you in successfully navigating this very difficult and lonely road in your journey through life. Sometimes life can lead us in a direction that turns out to be a dead end, or at least it may often feel that way.
Get a head start by viewing the informational material provided on this site to help you become more familiar with the legal process and what information you need to provide. Then as an educated client, you can choose our legal experienced and determined attorneys who will fight to resolve the issue in your favor.